db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Lucene integration
Date Fri, 13 Mar 2009 10:38:33 GMT
Geoffrey Hendrey wrote:
> Would it be possible for the derby team to implement lucene support in the following
way? Hook into the asynchronous replication protocol to send committed transactions to a lucene
receiver. I think it is acceptable for the free text search to only "see" committed data.

> Alterative to opening the protocol would be to create an abstract ReceiverServer for
asynchronous data, then LuceneReceiver is just a subclass.

> Thoughts?

Hi Geoffrey,

Thanks for moving this discussion forward. There is already some
discussion of lucene integration and a fair amount of hand-waving in
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-472 and
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/LuceneIntegration In particular, the
wiki page poses 3 use-cases for this integration: loose coupling,
moderate coupling, and tight coupling. Once we look under the hood, some
of these use-cases may not make sense. Am I right in assuming that you
are interested in tight-coupling?

Thanks,
-Rick