db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendle...@amberpoint.com>
Subject Re: initial page allocation versus incremental allocation
Date Wed, 04 Mar 2009 19:05:16 GMT
> idea, if they were used at all was for the software to automatically
> determine what the best settings and up them dynamically rather than
> force/allow user to do so.

Another idea would be to try to do something adaptive, along the lines of:
  - if the table is currently smaller than N pages, use an incremental
    allocation of 8 pages
  - if the table is larger than N pages, but smaller than 2*N pages,
    use an incremental allocation of 24 pages
  - if the table is larger than 2*N pages, but smaller than 10*N pages,
    use an incremental allocation of 128 pages
  - if the table is larger than 10*N pages, use an incremental
    allocation of 256 pages

Or something like that.

I guess I'm just trying to suggest that it might be possible to be
a zero-admin embedded DB and still scale well at page allocation for
very large tables.

This discussion is probably best suited for derby-dev, and as Knut said
it would be nice if there was a JIRA that tracked this for the future.

thanks,

bryan