db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Thomas J. Taylor" <Thomas.Tay...@Miami.edu>
Subject RE: Derby 10.1 -> 10.2 upgrade issue
Date Thu, 05 Mar 2009 20:38:28 GMT

According to the Java 5 docs, the getIndexInfo ResultSet should contain all
of the required information (INDEX_NAME, COLUMN_NAME, NON_UNIQUE) - if the
index consists of multiple columns, then multiple ResultSet entries will be
returned for a given INDEX_NAME, and you'll have to use ORDINAL_POSITION to
recreate the sequencing of columns within the index.

If not, you might try looking at the thread/link that Rick Hillegas sent

ResultSet <http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/sql/ResultSet.html>
<http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/lang/String.html>  catalog,

<http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/lang/String.html>  schema,

<http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/lang/String.html>  table,

                       boolean unique,

                       boolean approximate)

                       throws SQLException

Retrieves a description of the given table's indices and statistics. They

Each index column description has the following columns:

1.      TABLE_CAT String => table catalog (may be null)

2.      TABLE_SCHEM String => table schema (may be null)

3.      TABLE_NAME String => table name

4.      NON_UNIQUE boolean => Can index values be non-unique. false when
TYPE is tableIndexStatistic

5.      INDEX_QUALIFIER String => index catalog (may be null); null when
TYPE is tableIndexStatistic

6.      INDEX_NAME String => index name; null when TYPE is

7.      TYPE short => index type:

o    tableIndexStatistic - this identifies table statistics that are
returned in conjuction with a table's index descriptions

o    tableIndexClustered - this is a clustered index

o    tableIndexHashed - this is a hashed index

o    tableIndexOther - this is some other style of index

8.      ORDINAL_POSITION short => column sequence number within index; zero
when TYPE is tableIndexStatistic

9.      COLUMN_NAME String => column name; null when TYPE is

10.  ASC_OR_DESC String => column sort sequence, "A" => ascending, "D" =>
descending, may be null if sort sequence is not supported; null when TYPE is

11.  CARDINALITY int => When TYPE is tableIndexStatistic, then this is the
number of rows in the table; otherwise, it is the number of unique values in
the index.

12.  PAGES int => When TYPE is tableIndexStatisic then this is the number of
pages used for the table, otherwise it is the number of pages used for the
current index.

13.  FILTER_CONDITION String => Filter condition, if any. (may be null)

catalog - a catalog name; must match the catalog name as it is stored in
this database; "" retrieves those without a catalog; null means that the
catalog name should not be used to narrow the search

schema - a schema name; must match the schema name as it is stored in this
database; "" retrieves those without a schema; null means that the schema
name should not be used to narrow the search

table - a table name; must match the table name as it is stored in this

unique - when true, return only indices for unique values; when false,
return indices regardless of whether unique or not

approximate - when true, result is allowed to reflect approximate or out of
data values; when false, results are requested to be accurate

ResultSet - each row is an index column description

<http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/sql/SQLException.html>  - if a
database access error occurs