Thayer, Bobby J IT1 (SW) (STE OPS/CC) wrote:

To whom it may concern,

I am taking a college class right now and we are using Derby. We are at a point in the class where we have to use the JAVAC command to do some tasks but it does not work for me. I have a JDK and a JRE installed and was told that I can not have the JRE installed. I am taking another class at the same time and it uses Eclipse which requires a JRE to function. I need to know if there is a way I can have everything installed and still have it work?

Go to a console (whether your in Linux, Unix or some other OS) and type java -version to make sure you have a JRE (runtime) loaded.

Then to see if you have a JDK (development kit) loaded you are going to have to dig a bit. If you're on Linux it will be under /usr/bin

kai@xwing:~/.VirtualBox> which javac
/usr/bin/javac

If you're on another OS, then it will be under something like C:\Progra~1\j2sdk1.5.x\bin  or something like that.

--
kai

a turn signal is a statement, not a request