You can have both a JRE and a JDK installed (the JDK also installs a JRE), what is the problem, do you get som kind of error or what ?
Do you have a PATH setup to the java_install_dir/bin directory so that you can find the java/javac executable without having to type the
full path ?

----- Original Message -----
From: Thayer, Bobby J IT1 (SW) (STE OPS/CC)
To: derby-user@db.apache.org
Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2009 4:09 PM
Subject: Can't get JAVAC to work.

To whom it may concern,

I am taking a college class right now and we are using Derby. We are at a point in the class where we have to use the JAVAC command to do some tasks but it does not work for me. I have a JDK and a JRE installed and was told that I can not have the JRE installed. I am taking another class at the same time and it uses Eclipse which requires a JRE to function. I need to know if there is a way I can have everything installed and still have it work?

V/R

IT1(SW) Bobby Joe Thayer

USS Stethem (DDG-63)

OPS/CC LAN, ADNS, SKED, NTCSS Admin