Hi Walter,

I have just tried OpenOffice against an embedded and remote server instance of Derby and I was able to modify  data.

I used Derby's ToursDB sample database and I was able to modify flights information (e.g. Aircraft for flight # AA1111 changed to 'DC10').
I have verified that it got persisted by exiting OO and Derby completely and reading the table back in from OpenOffice Base...

Can you check again if you can update data with an embedded instance of Derby from OpenOffice.

I have used the following Derby driver class and URL based on my environment:
org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver
jdbc:derby:/usr/forsini/Derby/toursdb
(no need to specify a user name/pwd since I wanted the default 'APP')

Cheers

--francois