Hi Walter,

How did you set-up these permissions?

Normally, if you connect to a remote instance of Derby and have not set specific permissions, you should be able to update data based on the user you've authenticated with when connecting to the database.
How did you set permissions to be read-ony for the OpenOffice client? Are you connecting with the same user credentials as you do from the servlet? Have you configured different users with different permissions to connect to this database whether you're connecting from the servlet or from a remote (OpenOffice) client?

Cheers

--francois