Hi Kevin,

You can also look at this Derby WIKI page on how to set-up Derby to start as a window service with pointers to 3 alternatives (including srvany):
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyWindowsService

There is also additional information in the JIRA below on how to use tomcat5.exe as a 4th alternative to run Derby's network server as a windows service:

Hope this helps

--francois