db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kent Spaulding <k...@iotabits.com>
Subject Re: Derby 10.4.2 and eclipse 3.4.1 (Ganymede)
Date Mon, 09 Feb 2009 21:12:38 GMT
Ah, I wasn't aware of -clean, so I've given that a try.  It still
doesn't work.

However, the log states:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.update.configurator 4 0 2009-01-30 11:52:14.886
!MESSAGE Plugin does not have a valid identifier: plugins/
org.apache.derby.core_10.4.2/

!ENTRY org.eclipse.update.configurator 4 0 2009-01-30 11:52:14.886
!MESSAGE Plugin does not have a valid version: plugins/
org.apache.derby.core_10.4.2/

So I'll have a look at the plugin.xml file...

As an note for the list - I'm running this on OS X 10.5.6, and the way
to -clean eclipse is:

1) Open Terminal
2) cd /Applications/eclipse
   Assuming you installed there.
3) ./eclipse -clean
   This will add the cmdline arguments to the contents of /
Applications/eclipse/eclipse.app/eclipse.ini when starting the program.

On Feb 9, 2009, at 3:29 AM, Leslie Software wrote:

> Since Derby does not use the update manager Eclipse does not know
> that you upgraded one of its plug-ins.  Often when you unzip new
> plug-ins they will immediately be recognized (although not always)
> but if you upgrade by unziping they are not noticed.  Here is the
> procedure I follow when performing a manual update:
>
> 1) Make a backup of my install directory
> 2) Delete the older plug-in (and feature if there is one)
> 3) Unzip the newer plug-in (and feature if there is one)
> 4) Create a copy of my usual launch short cut (I'm using windows) or
> launch script
> 5) Add -clean to the command line
> 6) Launch using the temporary short cut or script
> 7) Verify that it is working and shut down
> 8) Get rid of the temporary short cut or script
>
> You are good to go.
>
> For example one of my project's launch short cut looks like this
> "D:\Program Files\Eclipse341\eclipse\eclipse.exe" -vm "D:\Program
> Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_01\bin\javaw.exe" -data F:\Eclipseworkspaces
> \WizardsFamiliar -vmargs -Xmx1224M  -Dserver_port=63081
>
> I would change it to:
> "D:\Program Files\Eclipse341\eclipse\eclipse.exe" -vm "D:\Program
> Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_01\bin\javaw.exe" -clean -data
> F:\Eclipseworkspaces\WizardsFamiliar -vmargs -Xmx1224M
> -Dserver_port=63081
>
> The -clean option forces Eclipse to forget what it knows about what
> plug-ins are installed and which depends on the others.  On start up
> the installed plug-in list and their dependencies will be
> refreshed.  The start up will be slower which is why you don't want
> it set that way all the time.
>
> For the official explanation check out
> http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/org.eclipse.platform.doc.isv/reference/misc/runtime-options.html?view=co
> Find osgi.clean on the page.