db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Lance Andersen <Lance.Ander...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: How are we supposed to use Blob.getBinaryStream(long, long) ?
Date Mon, 16 Feb 2009 22:16:03 GMT

On Feb 16, 2009, at 4:53 PM, Daniel Noll wrote:

> Richard Scott wrote:
>> Just from the point of view of a happy derby user with no
>> affiliation to
>> either Derby or Sun and who subscribes to this list because I use
>> Derby and
>> want to be aware of issues, good tricks, and other good tidbits, I
>> suspect
>> the author of the original report did not intend it to be a slam at
>> Sun (and
>> it certainly did not strike me as one at Derby).  Just sounded as
>> if he had
>> yanked some of his hair out with a frustrating problem and had a
>> little
>> tongue-in-cheek expression thereof.  So, while he can probably
>> speak for
>> himself, I doubt that he intended for anyone's kickers to get in a
>> twist!
>> (Plus, he got a helpful answer immediately!)
>
> Yeah, it was just a bit of comedy, I like my conspiracy theories.
> Though the JDBC API is full of so many things which are bizarre and
> cost time... like indexing from 1. ;-)

Well the indexing is a holdover from ODBC and SQL and perhaps it seems
off but the original spec authors I am sure were going for consistency
there.

Please if you can clarify what you think is bizarre and costs time.
Some things i may be able to improve on in JDBC 4.1 if time permits...

thank you
-lance