db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kent Spaulding <k...@iotabits.com>
Subject Re: Derby 10.4.2 and eclipse 3.4.1 (Ganymede)
Date Mon, 09 Feb 2009 21:39:10 GMT
One more time, since apparently I can't read dates in logs very
well... those log messages were from when I was last messing around
with this.

I redid all of this, and the plugin.xml that is shipped with derby
1.4.2.0 core is fine.

Next, from the logs it appears the business intelligence and reporting
tool (BIRT) from the eclipse foundation in 3.4.1 has .jar files
packaged on-board that confilct with the derby 1.4.2.0 ui plugin, and
I suspect they also want to the see the 1.3 version of core.

In short, when using the BIRT-enabled version of eclipse, you can't
just drop new Derby plugins into the directory. :-(

So I'll press on with the more basic toolset - no worries.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

--Kent

On Feb 9, 2009, at 3:29 AM, Leslie Software wrote:

> Since Derby does not use the update manager Eclipse does not know
> that you upgraded one of its plug-ins.  Often when you unzip new
> plug-ins they will immediately be recognized (although not always)
> but if you upgrade by unziping they are not noticed.  Here is the
> procedure I follow when performing a manual update:
>
> 1) Make a backup of my install directory
> 2) Delete the older plug-in (and feature if there is one)
> 3) Unzip the newer plug-in (and feature if there is one)
> 4) Create a copy of my usual launch short cut (I'm using windows) or
> launch script
> 5) Add -clean to the command line
> 6) Launch using the temporary short cut or script
> 7) Verify that it is working and shut down
> 8) Get rid of the temporary short cut or script
>
> You are good to go.
>
> For example one of my project's launch short cut looks like this
> "D:\Program Files\Eclipse341\eclipse\eclipse.exe" -vm "D:\Program
> Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_01\bin\javaw.exe" -data F:\Eclipseworkspaces
> \WizardsFamiliar -vmargs -Xmx1224M  -Dserver_port=63081
>
> I would change it to:
> "D:\Program Files\Eclipse341\eclipse\eclipse.exe" -vm "D:\Program
> Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_01\bin\javaw.exe" -clean -data
> F:\Eclipseworkspaces\WizardsFamiliar -vmargs -Xmx1224M
> -Dserver_port=63081
>
> The -clean option forces Eclipse to forget what it knows about what
> plug-ins are installed and which depends on the others.  On start up
> the installed plug-in list and their dependencies will be
> refreshed.  The start up will be slower which is why you don't want
> it set that way all the time.
>
> For the official explanation check out
> http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/org.eclipse.platform.doc.isv/reference/misc/runtime-options.html?view=co
> Find osgi.clean on the page.