db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Francois Orsini <francois.ors...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Derby and third party products
Date Mon, 16 Feb 2009 10:07:38 GMT
Hi Walter,

You need to enable the Derby's instance running in TomCat to act as a server
and allow remote connections.
See http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.4/adminguide/tadminconfig814963.html(for
turning on server mode)

You would then be able to connect from an OpenOffice client using Derby's
network client JDBC driver (instead of the embedded ones as the tutorial
shows). Of course you can still use the embedded driver to access the Derby
instance started from within TomCat.
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.4/getstart/getstart-single.html#tgsactivity4

For instance,
In 8) replace the Derby embedded connection URL with the one to connect to
the remote instance of Derby started within TomCat.
e.g. jdbc:derby://localhost:1527/*c:/myfolder/**EactsCongenitalDatabase*
or jdbc:derby://localhost:1527/*EactsCongenitalDatabase* (if you have set
DERBY_SYSTEM_HOME to point to a directory where to expect to find the
database(s) [recommended way] of if Derby was started in a directory where
the database is located).
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/dev/devguide/cdevdvlp27610.html

in 9) Use Derby's network client driver instead of the embedded one class,
such as:
org.apache.derby.jdbc.ClientDriver
(make sure to have DerbyClient.jar in OpenOffice classpath as you did with
Derby.jar)

Hope this helps

--francois