db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Noll <dan...@nuix.com>
Subject Re: How many DRDAConnThreads is reasonable?
Date Fri, 27 Feb 2009 00:08:39 GMT
Kathey Marsden wrote:
> You can limit the DRDAConnThreads with derby.drda.maxthreads
> http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.2/adminguide/radmindrdamaxthreads.html

That sounds like we can use it.  Are there any recommendations on an
appropriate value for timeSlice, or is leaving it at 0 going to work?

Does a client use up a thread merely by being connected, or do they have
to be executing queries?

If they do use up a thread by just being connected, is it a reasonable
strategy for the client to disconnect after doing a query and then
reconnect for the next one?  (So that when the application isn't doing
any database work, it can free up threads for other users.)  The cost of
connection for some databases is quite high, but for others it's
relatively low.

> You might also try using embedded connections instead of client  if you
> are connecting from within the same jvm as network server is running.
> You can still start network server and connect with client from other
> jvms with client, but there is no reason not to use embedded within the
> same jvm.

In this instance they're all in different VMs (on different computers.)

Daniel