db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Noll <dan...@nuix.com>
Subject How many DRDAConnThreads is reasonable?
Date Thu, 26 Feb 2009 23:11:21 GMT
Hi all.

I'm seeing a situation where a Network Server is running out of memory
creating new threads.  I say NetworkServer, but it's embedded into a
little server application which does a few other things, though serving
Derby databases is its primary purpose.

I had a look at the thread dump, and it looks kind of like this:

   428 x DRDAConnThread
   208 x derby.rawStoreDaemon
    50 x miscellaneous other threads (mostly our own)

208 corresponds to the number of databases which are open.  I imagine
that 428 corresponds to the number of client connections.

Memory limits were set to 1G heap, 200M PermGen.  Heap is being lowered
to 640M to see if that alleviates the problem a bit, but...

Is there any way we can reduce thread usage by setting some special
Derby flag?  (e.g. some flag which makes it use selectors instead of
having one thread per connection... or some way to reduce the number of
raw store deamons.)

Daniel