db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: JavaDB and Derby? Is this a fork?
Date Tue, 03 Feb 2009 18:13:58 GMT
Charlie Hubbard wrote:
> So JavaDB has released a point release 10.4.2.1, and derby has only
> 10.4.2.0 available on it's site.  Are those changes made by Sun being
> incorporated back into derby's main line?  If so when do you think
> they will be released under the derby branch?  Why did Sun do this?
>
> Thanks
> Charlie
Hi Charlie,

Both Sun and IBM produce their own releases of Derby from the community
codelines, calling these distributions Java DB and Cloudscape,
respectively. To my knowledge, both companies check all of their patches
into the community branches so the codeline is not forked. Sun produced
10.4.2.1 to fix bugs reported by its own customers. The release notes
should explain what bugs were fixed and should refer to bug reports in
the community issue tracking system, JIRA. The changes rolled up into
10.4.2.1 have been committed to the Derby mainline and to the 10.4
branch. Those changes will appear in the next community release cut off
the mainline or the 10.4 branch. Currently, the community is planning a
10.5 release which will include those fixes:
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyTenFiveOneRelease

Hope this helps,
-Rick