db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Leslie Software <lesliesoftw...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Derby 10.4.2 and eclipse 3.4.1 (Ganymede)
Date Mon, 09 Feb 2009 11:29:43 GMT

Since Derby does not use the update manager Eclipse does not know that you upgraded one of
its plug-ins.  Often when you unzip new plug-ins they will immediately be recognized (although
not always) but if you upgrade by unziping they are not noticed.  Here is the procedure I
follow when performing a manual update:

1) Make a backup of my install directory
2) Delete the older plug-in (and feature if there is one)
3) Unzip the newer plug-in (and feature if there is one)
4) Create a copy of my usual launch short cut (I'm using windows) or launch script
5) Add -clean to the command line
6) Launch using the temporary short cut or script
7) Verify that it is working and shut down
8) Get rid of the temporary short cut or script

You are good to go.

For example one of my project's launch short cut looks like this
"D:\Program Files\Eclipse341\eclipse\eclipse.exe" -vm "D:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_01\bin\javaw.exe"
-data F:\Eclipseworkspaces\WizardsFamiliar -vmargs -Xmx1224M  -Dserver_port=63081

I would change it to:
"D:\Program Files\Eclipse341\eclipse\eclipse.exe" -vm "D:\Program
Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_01\bin\javaw.exe" -clean -data
F:\Eclipseworkspaces\WizardsFamiliar -vmargs -Xmx1224M
-Dserver_port=63081

The -clean option forces Eclipse to forget what it knows about what plug-ins are installed
and which depends on the others.  On start up the installed plug-in list and their dependencies
will be refreshed.  The start up will be slower which is why you don't want it set that way
all the time.

For the official explanation check out
http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/org.eclipse.platform.doc.isv/reference/misc/runtime-options.html?view=co

Find osgi.clean on the page.