db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "John T. Dow" <j...@johntdow.com>
Subject 'updateString' not allowed because the ResultSet is not an updatable ResultSet
Date Sun, 01 Feb 2009 21:09:12 GMT
I get this error message:

'updateString' not allowed because the ResultSet is not an updatable ResultSet.

It happens after creating a result set with this query:

select * from orders where (orders.recordno = (select max(orders.recordno) from orders))

The problem does not occur with this query:

select * from orders where (orders.recordno = '1234')

The program has one connection to the database but several simultaneous statements and result
sets, basically doing data entry and display for different tables in different frames.

Statements are created like this:

stmt = conn.createStatement(ResultSet.TYPE_SCROLL_SENSITIVE, ResultSet.CONCUR_UPDATABLE);

I know there are conditions that have to be met for an updatable result set (eg no ORDER BY),
but I don't see how this query violates any of the conditions.

Interesting note: I am removing Borland's data aware components and other logic from my programming.
The old version of the program, which used Borland QueryDataSet instead of a resultset, worked
fine. Also, PostgreSQL works fine.

Thanks

John