db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: 50 transactions timing out with no CPU usage and no deadlocks
Date Thu, 29 Jan 2009 11:03:22 GMT
Blair Zajac <blair@orcaware.com> writes:

> Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:
>> Blair Zajac <blair@orcaware.com> writes:
>>
>>> I downloaded d2991-preview-1e.diff and applied it to r737572 of trunk.
>>> I don't see the original problem now.  Even going to 500 threads and
>>> setting derby.locks.waitTimeout to -1 works.
>>>
>>> Will or when will a patch for d2991 be applied to trunk?
>>
>> Thanks for testing the patch. A patch for DERBY-2991 will hopefully make
>> it into the upcoming Derby 10.5.1 release
>> (http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyTenFiveOneRelease). Currently,
>> we're evaluating the performance impact of the suggested fix.
>
> Thanks.  What kind of performance impact does the patch have on Derby?

The patch makes some index scans copy their position (that is the whole
row from the index page) in the middle of the scan. If this happens
frequently (for some scans it may happen for every row), you may see a
performance drop (up to 10% has been suggested).

For most index scans, the copying happens less frequently, and the
performance impact is barely observable. And for shorter index scans
(those fetching less than 16 rows) it doesn't happen at all, and because
of some other changes in the patch, these shorter scans may actually see
increased performance with the patch.

> To be half joking and half series, without the fix, the performance of
> my app goes to 0 when the application runs into this issue.

I agree, and I think the performance penalties that have been found till
now do not outweigh the benefits of the fix. I will post some more
findings on DERBY-2991 shortly, and I think those findings show that
more or less all common cases are unaffected by the fix, so I'm
currently optimistic that the fix will be included in 10.5.1.

--
Knut Anders