db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Record not found in some SQL - Bug?
Date Wed, 28 Jan 2009 20:00:56 GMT
derby@segel.com wrote:

> [...]

[ snip ]

> How did you load the data?
>
> What character set(s) are you using? Latin-1 or UTF-8?
>
> Just out of curiosity, if you are using UTF-8 and you have a 2 byte set of
> characters, when you use the length() function, do you see the number of
> bytes or the number of characters. By this I mean suppose you have 'cat' but
> each character is 2 bytes wide. Does length() return 3 or does it return 6?

FYI,

Derby should be returning the number of characters.
The on-disk format of character values in Derby is the modified UTF-8
encoding (see java.io.DataInput).

This information doesn't make neither the bug nor bad-import theory
invalid, of course :)

Be aware that 10.3.1.4 and 10.3.2.1 had a corruption bug, mostly (or
only) seen on Windows. It may or may not be related to the problem
described. In any case, you should move to Derby 10.4 or 10.3.3.0.

--
Kristian