db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: is there a lower-level (non-SQL) API for Derby?
Date Tue, 20 Jan 2009 18:58:45 GMT
Hi Brian,

The last time the community discussed this, there was some concern that
this effort would fall outside Derby's charter. One way forward might be
to create an experimental branch in which to prototype a solution. If
the prototype attracted enough interest, then we could take it to the
Apache Incubator and attempt to create a new, related DB subproject.

Here, for instance, is something which we could prototype in a branch:
We could create a small wrapper API around Derby. The jar file
containing this small wrapper would be what the related Apache project
ultimately delivers and you would use it together with the existing
Derby jars. I'm thinking that for operations like creating/dropping a
container (i.e., a table) you might not see a performance gain but for
simple gets and puts you could see the 15-20% improvement. Of the
benefits listed at the end of this message, this solution would deliver
benefit (3) and to a smaller extent benefit (2). It would not deliver
benefit (1): the code footprint of this solution would actually be a
little larger than native Derby and memory and disk usage would be
pretty much the same.

Would a solution like this be useful for you?

Thanks,
-Rick