db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Derby and handling of exceptions / errors
Date Wed, 14 Jan 2009 14:15:16 GMT
Hi Daniel,

I don't think that this part of the Derby api is specified. I don't
think we have any regression tests in place to guarantee that the
position of the original error in the exception graph won't change
across releases. Bear in mind that SQLExceptions have their own chaining
mechanism. So when you unravel the exception ball, you have to follow
both SQLException.getNextException() and Throwable.getCause(). I would
expect the original error to be at the end of some trajectory through
the exception graph. You may need to write an acceptance test for your
application to alert you if Derby's behavior changes across releases.

Hope this helps,
-Rick