db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: is there a lower-level (non-SQL) API for Derby?
Date Mon, 05 Jan 2009 14:48:57 GMT
Hi Tim,

This question has come up before. For instance, you may find some
interesting discussion on the following email thread:

The Derby storage layer is supposed to be an independent component. The
api is described in the javadoc for the
org.apache.derby.iapi.store.access package:

What would you say are your chief needs? Are you looking for a version
of Derby which is

1) smaller
2) faster

3) easier-to-use

Hope this helps,

Tim Dugan wrote:
> I'm looking to see if Derby can be used similarly to Berkeley DB -- a
> lower-level API.  Can anyone tell me?
> Maybe to the access area of the "Store Layer" which in some Derby
> documentation is described like this:
>     "The Store layer is split into two main areas, access and raw. The
>     access layer presents a conglomerate (table or index)/row based
>     interface to the SQL layer. It handles table scans, index scans,
>     index lookups, indexing, sorting, locking policies, transactions,
>     isolation levels."
> Now that Derby is included in Java 16--I am having a really hard time
> finding Java documentation that talks about Derby.

View raw message