db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Damian Carey" <jami...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Derby SQL diff tool suggestions
Date Fri, 09 Jan 2009 20:28:51 GMT
On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 2:36 AM, Scott Anderson <sanderson@airvana.com> wrote:
> Have you considered using an ORM such as Hibernate or Cayenne to
> alleviate your SQL woes? Cayenne has a Database Merger package which
> could be just what you're looking for.

Hi Scott,

Our product is already Hibernate base - which allows us to get a fair
distance with Java skills and with moderate SQL skills.
We use Hibernate to create our schemas. So we have (say) a
"Version7Schema" and a "Version8Schema" - both created by Hibernate.

However, Hibernate does not have a "production quality" method of
updating a database schema. They (Hibernate) do not recommend updating
a schema on live/important data with their tool. So we should not and
do not use Hibernate to update our databases in the field.

Instead we create our update scripts here in the office - where we
modify and test them to make sure they are OK.

Our issue (and our search for a useful Derby "diff" tool) is in
developing the update script that will take us from "Version7Schema"
to "Version8Schema".  We have a tool to do it for Postrges (APGDIFF),
and I was just researching to see if there is something equivalent to
do that in Derby.

Thanks for your interest.
-Damian