db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Damian Carey" <jami...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Derby SQL diff tool suggestions
Date Fri, 09 Jan 2009 10:56:10 GMT
On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 8:00 PM, Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater@gmx.net> wrote:
> Damian Carey wrote on 09.01.2009 02:27:
>>
>> SQL Workbench looks like an excellent tool going forward!
>> I've been trying it out and got it going in minutes.
>>
>> Just for now, however, I'm looking for a Derby SQL diff tool.
>
> But WbSchemaDiff /can/ be used on two Derby databases?
>
> I don't understand why you think it can't diff a derby database.
>
> Or are you looking for a tool that outputs the diff directly as a SQL
> script?
> Thomas

Thomas,

Firstly, I'm sure you know more about databases than I will ever know.
So I may well be misunderstanding my options and your offerings.

The "diff" tool I'm searching for takes two schemas (say
"MySchemaVersion 7" and "MySchemaVersion8") and outputs the SQL diff.
So the diff is an SQL script that may be as simple as ..

<snip>
ALTER TABLE mytable
    ADD COLUMN mynewcol character varying(10000),
    ALTER COLUMN myoldcol TYPE bigint;

COMMIT;
</snip>

I can then apply this diff to an existing Version 7 schema, and I will
have a Version 8 database.

>From what I understand SqlWorkbench can do this for Postgres and
Oracle, but not for Derby(?).

I would be delighted to find out that SqlWorkbench can create diffs
for Derby :-())   !

Thanks for your interest,
-Damian