db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Damian Carey" <jami...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Derby SQL diff tool suggestions
Date Fri, 09 Jan 2009 04:21:12 GMT
On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 2:59 PM, Dag H. Wanvik <Dag.Wanvik@sun.com> wrote:

> As a possible hack for really basic needs, Derby has a tool called
> dblook whose text output you could possibly diff, maybe after some
> filtering ;-)
>
> Dag

Thanks Dag,
As part of my research for moving from Postgres to Derby I have used
dblook quite a bit to get the schema as DDL, then using (another Derby
tool) "ij" to add the schema to a new derby DB.

That is OK for a new empty database, but I'm more concerned about the
"update existing database" use case. The equivalent Postgres tool
(APGDIFF) takes the two nude schemas and proposes which "ALTER TABLE"
etc commands can be used to migrate the existing database. It is far
from perfect - but it does give a really good start.

My Java skills are 7/10 (an adequate pass), but my SQL skills are 3/10
(I can spell "SQL"), so the tool helps ease the transition. The
products use Hibernate - and that both creates the schema, and writes
all the SQL for us.

Thanks for your reply!
-Damian