db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Damian Carey" <jami...@gmail.com>
Subject Derby SQL diff tool suggestions
Date Fri, 09 Jan 2009 00:31:33 GMT
Hi all

Can anyone suggest a tool to diff Derby schemas?

I noticed tools like Liqibase and RazorSQL, and I was just wondering
what other suggestions there are, especially at the "primitive" end of
the market for a tool that does not inject itself into our workflow.

Honestly, our needs are VERY basic. A few times a year (at most) our
schema updates, and we need to update customer databases.

I've previously used a Postgres tool called AGPDIFF that takes two
(postgres) schemas and creates an "SQL Update Script" to update a
database in-situ to a new schema.
AGPDIFF  is a single jar file that you use via the command line. It is
not perfect, but it does get me plenty close enough to finish by hand,
so it is perfect for our needs.

I would love to have this capability in Derby. It does not need to
have all the bells and whistles.

Many thanks,
-Damian