db-derby-user mailing list archives

From <de...@segel.com>
Subject RE: Bad performance with UPDATE on a nested SELECT
Date Mon, 12 Jan 2009 12:57:44 GMT
Just a quick question...

What data type are you using for 'child_id' and 'parent_id'?
It seems that the way you've written the query that they are character
strings and not integers.
(Not that it would cause the delay.)

If you run the inner select by itself as written, how long does it take?

There was a bug several releases ago concerning the IN clause performance,
this could be related.

It would not be a good thing if you are doing a sequential scan on the
entire 1.5 mil rows, which is what you could be seeing in the 30 sec run.

Another test that you can use to confirm the problem is to create a subset
of the records table with 10,000 rows. If the same query runs with a low
(sub second) response, then you've verified that you're doing a table scan.

Assuming that this is a bug, and assuming that your id's are character
strings and not integers, try creating them as integers and see if that
helps the IN clause performance. (It's a gut feel, a hunch).

-Mike