db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen <...@statsbiblioteket.dk>
Subject Re: Loading new application versions in embedded mode
Date Tue, 13 Jan 2009 08:13:56 GMT
On Tue, 2009-01-13 at 01:57 +0100, ton80 wrote:
> I was wondering,
> I am new to Derby.  I am working a small project in Java using Derby in
> embedded mode.
> Will I be able to make changes to the application and reload it without
> affecting the data in the database?
> I guess a better way to put the question is how do I package the application
> so that I can make changes to the application code without harming data
> already in the database on the clients machine?
> This may be more of a Java question.

If you stick to the same version of Derby inside your app you should not
have any problems. And with a little care you can also upgrade Derby

Of course if your different application versions require different table
layouts inside the database your have to provide some migration strategy
inside the app, but that does not appear to be the case as I read your

We are doing a lot iterative deployments using the same Derby db and we
have not seen any problems with that.

View raw message