db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: ResultSet.next() throws ERROR XSAI3: Feature not implemented.
Date Thu, 11 Dec 2008 16:38:30 GMT
Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton@amberpoint.com> writes:

>> org.apache.derby.iapi.store.access.BackingStoreHashtable.spillToDisk(Unknown
>
> This sounds like DERBY-2354:
>
> Unfortunately, there's not a fix for that problem yet.
>
> You can possibly avoid this problem by changing the memory parameters
> so that the backing store hash table does not try to spill to disk,
> but depending on the size of your database and the amount of memory
> you can give to Derby, that may or may not be successful.

I think that is worth a try. For instance to give the Java process 512MB
of memory, start your application with

  java -Xmx512M -Xms512M MyApplication

The -Xms (initial heap size) part is just as important as -Xmx (maximum
heap size), since BackingStoreHashTable spills to disk if it takes more
than 1% of the space left on the heap, if I remember correctly.

If you don't need a scrollable ResultSet, you could also work around the
problem by using ResultSet.TYPE_FORWARD_ONLY.

--
Knut Anders