db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Michael Murray <mikehmur...@gmail.com>
Subject Tomcat derby JSP "java.sql.SQLException: No suitable driver"
Date Fri, 28 Nov 2008 16:19:00 GMT
hi guys,
I'm having a bit of trouble configuring apache tomcat to work with a
derby database on mac OS. Below are the steps I took. The error I get
when trying to acces the page from a jsp page is
"java.sql.SQLException: No suitable driver". Can anyone please help,
i'd be very very grateful.

Thanks,

Mike

I've created a derby database using the ij tool at location:

home/derby/db

I've installed Tomcat 6.0.18 at

home/applications/apache-tomcat-6.0.18/

and created a webapp at /apache-tomcat-6.0.18/webapps/ROOT

i've attempted to integrate the db with tomcat by:

sever.xml. adding:

               type="org.apache.catalina.UserDatabase"

               pathname="conf/tomcat-users.xml" />

and to webapps/ROOT/server.xml

   <context-param>
      <param-name>
         javax.servlet.jsp.jstl.sql.dataSource
      </param-name>
      <param-value>jdbc/db</param-value>
   </context-param>

   <resource-ref>
      <description>DB Connection</description>
      <res-ref-name>jdbc/db</res-ref-name>
      <res-auth>Container</res-auth>
   </resource-ref>

in startup.sh I have added:

DERBY_HOME=/derby/db

CATALINA_OPTS="-Dderby.system.home=/derby/db"

CLASSPATH=\
Applications/apache-tomcat-6.0.18/lib/derbyclient.jar:\

I have then attempted to access the db from a jsp page using the
following script:

<%@ page language="java" import="java.sql.*" %>

<%
String driver = "org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver";
String dbName="/db";
String connectionURL = "jdbc:derby://localhost:8080/" + dbName;
Connection conn = null;
try{
     Class.forName(driver);
} catch(java.lang.ClassNotFoundException e) {
     e.printStackTrace();
	out.println(e);
}
try {
     conn = DriverManager.getConnection(connectionURL);
	out.println("CONNETED<br>");

     //body of code to go here

}  catch (Throwable e)  {
    out.println(e);
    e.printStackTrace();
} finally {

}

%>

This returns the error

"java.sql.SQLException: No suitable driver"