db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Donald McLean" <dmclea...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: procedure to upgrade or create an embedded database
Date Mon, 08 Dec 2008 14:38:56 GMT
It is reasonably easy to find out if the database exists in Java -
create a File object with the correct path. If "exists()" returns
false then create it, otherwise you can upgrade it.

Donald

On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 12:45 PM, Brian Peterson <publicayers@verizon.net> wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out how to determine what connection parameters for an
> embedded database I should use when there might not be a database in place
> (so "create=true"), or there might be an older version already in place (so
> "upgrade=true"), or there might already be a database of the right version
> in place (so "create" or add nothing to the URL).
>
> I read that "upgrade" and "create" cannot both be specified in the
> connection URL. If I'm putting out a release of my application that uses the
> latest version of Derby (10.4) while a previous version used 10.2.2, what
> are the recommended steps for making the connection to the Derby database if
> one is already present? (Note that I have to handle this programmatically as
> part of the application startup.)
>
> Do I first try a URL with "create" and see if there's an error, and if so,
> follow up with a call with "upgrade"? Or do I have the procedure always use
> "upgrade" and follow up with a URL with "create" if it fail to make a
> connection?

Family photographs are a critical legacy for
ourselves and our descendants. Protect that
legacy with a digital backup and recovery plan.