db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Alan Burlison <Alan.Burli...@sun.com>
Subject Re: How to get a Derby schema.sql so we can build the next DB?
Date Thu, 18 Dec 2008 11:22:05 GMT
Damian Carey wrote:

> The DbManager class is a fantastic resource that I will utilise.
> Especially the runScript method for "ij", that I didn't notice in the
> "Derby Tools and Utilities Guide".

We will probably be adding methods for online backup & clustering over
the next month or so as well.

> Regarding the sql you pump in to the ij.runScript(...) method: It
> sounds like you hand craft that?

Yes, see
http://src.opensolaris.org/source/xref/website/auth/AuthWebapp/src/configuration/sql/

> Do you know if that SQL is the same format as the output from the
> "dblook" tool?
> If it is we can do the full round trip.

I've never actually used the dblook tool, but I would assume it produces
valid Derby-dialect SQL.

> I just want the round-trip so I can get Hibernate to "design" the
> original database schema, then we capture it (perhaps via dblook to
> DDL), then we can write that schema to other new databases (via
> ij.runScript(...)) when they are created at a customer's site.

Ah right, that makes sense :-)

--
Alan Burlison