db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: procedure to upgrade or create an embedded database
Date Tue, 09 Dec 2008 13:55:19 GMT
Hi Brian,

Specifying "upgrade=true" on an already upgraded database should be
harmless. Here's how to determine if the database needs to be upgraded:

1) The database needs to be upgraded if the (two digit) on-disk version
of the database is less than the leading two digits of the Derby release
identifier.

2) The on-disk version of the database can be obtained by the following
query. Note this is not part of Derby's public API and so could change
in the future. However, this part of the API has remained stable for the
last 4 years:

    values ( syscs_util.syscs_get_database_property(
'DataDictionaryVersion' ) )

3) The release identifier can be obtained via sysinfo.

Hope this helps,
-Rick

publicayers@verizon.net wrote:
> How do I tell if the database needs to be upgraded? Or is there no
> impact if I specify "upgrade" but one is not necessary?
>
> Brian
>

> On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at  8:43 AM, Rick Hillegas wrote:
>
>> Brian Peterson wrote:
>>> I'm trying to figure out how to determine what connection parameters
>>> for an
>>> embedded database I should use when there might not be a database in
>>> place
>>> (so "create=true"), or there might be an older version already in
>>> place (so
>>> "upgrade=true"), or there might already be a database of the right