db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Tomcat derby JSP "java.sql.SQLException: No suitable driver"
Date Thu, 04 Dec 2008 20:52:00 GMT
teamderby wrote:
> Emmanuel,
>
> Thanks for your reply. I have tried using derby.jar instead of
> derbyclient.jar and the result is exactly the same. Is there any more advice
> you can give me?

Hi Mike,

The error message you gave, means one of two things;
 1) The URL is not a Derby URL (i.e. typos, wrong protocol etc).
 2) The required Derby driver (derby.jar or derbyclient.jar) isn't in
the classpath.

By looking at the code you posted, the only way I can see it failing as
you describe, is that you are loading the wrong driver.
For the embedded driver (derby.jar:
org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver) the URL must start with
"jdbc:derby:DBNAME".
For the client driver (derbyclient.jar:
org.apache.derby.jdbc.ClientDriver) the URL must start with
"jdbc:derby://HOSTNAME[:PORT]/DBNAME".

If you are sure you have specified the correct path, and it still
doesn't work, this sounds like a classloader issue to me.
I don't know Tomcat, but have you placed the jar in the correct directory?
Are you sure it actually uses the environment variable you have modified?

It's also possible that a ClassNotFoundException is thrown and you
overlooked the error message, but if you're sure you have looked in the
correct log file that's not what's going on either...

Regards,
--
Kristian