db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Damian Carey" <jami...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Off topic? Small business firewall candidates
Date Mon, 29 Dec 2008 00:13:58 GMT
On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 10:46 AM, Peter Ondruška
<peter.ondruska@gmail.com> wrote:
> :-) I must say you will hear lot of advises to go UNIX or Linux or
> whatever different from Windows :-) I have heard there is something
> like iptables for Windows, google-around this topic.

Thanks Peter - I will have a look.

The problem is that at least 100% of our customers will be using
MS-Windows. Maybe more. Our app will be installed on their existing
PCs.

Essentially these Mechanic's PCs will be in a worse condition that the
worst unmaintained geek cars!  We could ask "what is a good candidate
car for a geek to buy - if the geek refuses to look after that car as
well as a car-lover".

If we inverse that question we get "what is a suitable firewall /
protection suite for a mechanic who has computers and does not know /
understand / care what they need to do to protect themselves".

One answer is "we don't care, or "there is no answer" - but the truth
is that there is always some reasonable approach.

It will not save them from everything, but it will be a useful start.

Thanks again,
-Damian