db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Damian Carey" <jami...@gmail.com>
Subject How to get a Derby schema.sql so we can build the next DB?
Date Thu, 18 Dec 2008 01:24:34 GMT
Hi all,

We're long term Java-Desktop-App-via-Hibernate-On-Postgres users
trying to transition to Derby.

When we deploy a new site we want to be able to (1) create the fresh
database then (2) "run" schema.sql to construct the database schema,
prior to (3) running the app and adding the data.

With postgres we extract the schema.sql from an existing database
(using pgAdminIII or whatever) and pump that raw SQL into the new
database. Easy and 100% reliable.

However, with Derby, I'm not sure how to get that SQL level snapshot
of an existing schema that we can use.

I can get the DDL from dblook, but I can't pump in DDL.  I really
don't want to add DdlUtils etc to our distribution.

So
(1) How do you get the raw SQL??
(2) What else would you suggest for transferring a schema from one
DerbyDB to a new fresh DerbyDB?

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
-Damian