db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Stephan van Loendersloot (LIST)" <step...@republika.nl>
Subject Re: How to get a Derby schema.sql so we can build the next DB?
Date Thu, 18 Dec 2008 01:59:19 GMT

Damian Carey wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 7:24 PM, Damian Carey <jamianb@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> We're long term Java-Desktop-App-via-Hibernate-On-Postgres users
>>> trying to transition to Derby.
>>>
>>> When we deploy a new site we want to be able to (1) create the fresh
>>> database then (2) "run" schema.sql to construct the database schema,
>>> prior to (3) running the app and adding the data.
>>>

> So I'm looking for a way to get the SQL so that we can create the
> database on the fly for each new customer.
> We currently also use that "SQL-on-startup" to modify the schema from
> time to time.  It works like a charm with our Postgres infrastructure,
> but I'm not sure how best to retain those capabilities with Derby.
>
> Cheers,
> -Damian

Hi Damian,

I think your best bet is using the 'dblook' command-line utility for
getting a schema dump that can be fed into the 'ij' command-line
utility. Both are part of Derby and you can find more information on how
to use them in the 'Derby Tools and Utilities Guide':

http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/dev/tools/

Regards,

    Stephan.