db-derby-user mailing list archives

From teamderby <mikehmur...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat derby JSP "java.sql.SQLException: No suitable driver"
Date Mon, 08 Dec 2008 23:18:21 GMT

Stephan,

Thanks a lot for your response. Your time and effort is very much
appreciated.

I am unfortunately still having problems, the jsp message:
org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot create JDBC driver of
class '' for connect URL 'null'

I have followed your instructions above exactly with a clean download of
Tomcat. I can therefore assume it is something silly I am doing in setting
up the database or launching tomcat. I can not see how you have set the
environment variables or the classpath.

After following your instructions exactly I have placed a clean derby
installation at /derby. I opened two terminals. in one:

 export DERBY_HOME=/derby
 export PATH="$DERBY_HOME/bin:$PATH"
 cd derby/bin
 setNetworkClientCP                       // this apparently sets the
classpath for the client driver
 ij
 ij> CONNECT 'jdbc:derby:db;create=true';
 ij> CREATE TABLE DB.....                 // and then SQL to create the
tables.
 java -jar $DERBY_HOME/lib/derbyrun.jar server start     // this seems to
successfully start the db listening to port 1527

In terminal two:

cd CATALINA_HOME/bin
./startup.sh

I then tried accessing localhost:8080 with your index.jsp page in ROOT. I
understand I must be misunderstanding something. your help would be much
appreciated. thanks,

Mike