db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Stephan van Loendersloot (LIST)" <step...@republika.nl>
Subject Re: Tomcat derby JSP "java.sql.SQLException: No suitable driver"
Date Tue, 09 Dec 2008 01:51:46 GMT

Emmanuel Cecchet wrote:
> Mike,
>
> Just to check, which JVM are you using? What is the output of 'java
> -version'?
> Did you make sure that both Tomcat and Derby where using the same JVM?

Hi Emmanuel,

This seems to be irrelevant. Since the network driver is used to make
connections to the database, Tomcat and Apache don't have to run in the
same JVM. Also, Mike is able to start Tomcat v6, which requires at least
Java 5, whereas Derby requires at least 1.4 and they both seem to be
running.

>> I am unfortunately still having problems, the jsp message:
>> org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot create JDBC
>> driver of
>> class '' for connect URL 'null'
>>
>> I have followed your instructions above exactly with a clean download of
>> Tomcat. I can therefore assume it is something silly I am doing in
>> setting
>> up the database or launching tomcat. I can not see how you have set the
>> environment variables or the classpath.

Hi Mike,

It looks like Tomcat is unable to locate the configuration files for
your ROOT web-application. It doesn't even get the connection URL and
the name of the driver-class.

Except for exporting DERBY_HOME, no extra CLASSPATH or environment magic
is needed for this example, because Tomcat scans the directory
CATALINA_HOME/lib for common and/or shared libraries by default. The
same goes for Derby with the default startup scripts. You use 2 separate
terminals to start each program, so they can operate independantly,
which is fine, you just need to start both of them from their 'bin'
directories.

The only thing that Derby needs is Java, the only things that Tomcat
needs are Java and the Derby client driver, so they should be okay.
Something's wrong with the configuration.

The problem can be, that Tomcat doesn't have the necessary user rights
to read some of the files under CATALINA_HOME/webapps, though it should
present a different error message in that case.

Again, just to be sure, (not a very smart thing to do in a production
environment), try to give the files all the rights they may need:

chmod 0777 /home/applications/apache-tomcat-6.0.18/lib/derbyclient.jar
chmod -cR 0777 /home/applications/apache-tomcat-6.0.18/webapps/ROOT

Then try again.

When the above doesn't help, I'll wipe the dust off my Mac and write-up
an even more detailed walk-through by this evening (local time) ;-)

Regards,

    Stephan.