db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Brian Peterson" <publicay...@verizon.net>
Subject procedure to upgrade or create an embedded database
Date Sat, 06 Dec 2008 17:45:40 GMT
I'm trying to figure out how to determine what connection parameters for an
embedded database I should use when there might not be a database in place
(so "create=true"), or there might be an older version already in place (so
"upgrade=true"), or there might already be a database of the right version
in place (so "create" or add nothing to the URL).

I read that "upgrade" and "create" cannot both be specified in the
connection URL. If I'm putting out a release of my application that uses the
latest version of Derby (10.4) while a previous version used 10.2.2, what
are the recommended steps for making the connection to the Derby database if
one is already present? (Note that I have to handle this programmatically as
part of the application startup.)

Do I first try a URL with "create" and see if there's an error, and if so,
follow up with a call with "upgrade"? Or do I have the procedure always use
"upgrade" and follow up with a URL with "create" if it fail to make a
connection?

Brian