db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Bugs? Deadlock detection with internal transactions, locking strategy when updating indices
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2008 10:07:26 GMT
Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waagan@Sun.COM> writes:

> Jeff Stuckman wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I just solved a hard-to-troubleshoot deadlock bug in my application. The
>> fact that a deadlock occurred may or may not be a flaw in Derby, but the
>> failure of the deadlock detection code to detect the cycle is probably a
>> bug. I'm wondering if a knowledgeable person has time to read my analysis
>> and advise if I should file a defect or not.
>>
>> Problem summary:
>> Even using READ_COMMITTED, a single non-updatable SELECT and a single UPDATE
>> statement can deadlock against each other when an index includes the updated
>> column. The transactions fail due to a lock timeout and the deadlock is not
>> detected, possibly because a transaction of type InternalTransaction is part
>> of the cycle.
>>

> Hello Jeff,
>
> First of all, thanks for your analysis and feedback. Much appreciated :)
>
> I'm sure someone with more knowledge in this area will try to answer
> you questions, but your description made me think about a Jira issue
> that has already been logged. Since you have written this description
> and thought about the problem, maybe you could also find the time to
> read the Jira issue and consider whether it is the same problem or
> not?
>
> The issue is DERBY-2991 - Index split deadlock :

I agree, the problem Jeff described looks very much like DERBY-2991. The
row locks on (XX,1) tell that the scan protection lock (a hybrid between
an ordinary row lock and a page latch) is involved, which is a clear
indication of DERBY-2991.

> I'm aware of a fix being worked on for this issue, but I don't know
> when it will be delivered.

Right. I've done some investigation and have posted some ideas on how to
fix it. I haven't received any negative feedback on the ideas, so I'll
just go ahead an try to make the necessary changes. I don't have a clear
picture yet of how much time it will take, though.

--
Knut Anders