db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Christian Riedel <sa...@nurfuerspam.de>
Subject Re: Using derby to parse an SQL statement
Date Fri, 21 Nov 2008 10:53:45 GMT
Hi Rick,

as requested I want to report our findings when working with the parser:

Background: we want to use the parser to analyze SQL statements that are
generated by different tools, for example an ETL tool. It seems that,
depending on the DBMS the tools are configured to work with, the
generated SQL is not completely standard conform, which causes a parser
exception.

As example the statement

	select null "a_null_column", id "an_id_column" from a_table

runs fine on an MSSQL DB, but causes problems on a DB2.

Feeding the parser with this statement brings up a parsing exception.
Supposedly because it is not SQL standard conform.

Our question is: Does the derby parser "only" understand standard SQL or
can it be instructed to accept DB2, Oracle, MSSQL etc. specific syntax
as well?

Other than this we have not had any problems with the parser. Using the
Derby AST brings the information we wanted.

I hope you can help us with this problem as well.

Regards

Christian

--
To reply to this posting directly use the following address and
remove the 'NO-SPAM' part: Riedel.Christian.NO-SPAM@gmx.net