db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Christian Riedel <sa...@nurfuerspam.de>
Subject Re: Using derby to parse an SQL statement
Date Wed, 12 Nov 2008 15:46:16 GMT
Hi Rick,

first of all thanks for your answer ... now the relations have become a
lot clearer ...

Your are right, there is a lot of things to be done that we probably
don't want to go through. You asked why we cannot take the whole derby
engine and use it ... well there is nor real reason not to do so. The
only "problem" I see is, that derby is a dbms - if I am not mistaken -
and we only have an SQL statement that we extract from a text file and
want tot analyze it to extract some metadata from it.

So if we take the derby engine as it is, how can I prevent that we have
to set up a "dummy" DB in order to be able to actually use thje parsing
feature ....

I hope you see my point.

We could live with setting up a dummy DB ... and I do think that the
derby AST offers all information we need. It's just that I don't see how
we can set this thing up. So having a dummy DB is necessary to be able
to intercept the parsing process to get hold of the AST? Can we actually
access the AST if we choose to set up a dummy DB? I think that would be
something we could live with ;-)

Thanks for your support

Christian

--
To reply to this posting directly use the following address and
remove the 'NO-SPAM' part: Riedel.Christian.NO-SPAM@gmx.net