db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: SQLTransientConnectionException
Date Mon, 17 Nov 2008 09:31:07 GMT
Björn Bachman wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have several java processes running on a server, collecting data
> from several databases(on other servers), processing the data and then
> storing it into different tables in a derby running network mode (same
> machine).
>
> I'm using version 10.4.2 and nave set the number of threads to 50(as
> god as any value).
>
> It seems like when 2 processes tries to access the derby server one of
> them gets a SQLTransientConnectionException with reason connection
> already in use.
>
> Is this a known problem (either to Derby or to code design) with a
> known workaround or ...

Hello Björn,

This sounds like a bug to me, either in Derby or maybe in the
application code.

o Can you post the exception stack trace?
o Have you specified any other properties for the network server, like
time-slicing?
o How do you obtain connections in the application code?
o Are using some kind of connection pooling software?
o Does it happen at once, or do you suspect that it happens when the 50
threads/connections have been "exhausted"?
o Are you cleaning up the resources in the application code? (i.e.
closing result sets and connections)

Maybe answers to some of these questions can help make the problem clearer.

--
Kristian