db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Alan Burlison <Alan.Burli...@sun.com>
Subject Re: btree overflow during insert
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2008 17:22:14 GMT
Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:

> No, it shouldn't allocate more space than what is actually used by the
> column. That probably means that reducing the declared length of the
> varchar column won't help. I thought there was a mechanism that
> automatically picked a larger page size at table/index creation time if
> the table had long columns, but it may be that it only kicks in for
> CLOBs and BLOBs.

That's a shame :-(  We are going to give it a try in any case, just in
case it does make a difference.

The other thing we are doing is batching up the inserts using the JDBC
addBatch functionality, but I assume that will have no relevance, as the
index is being added after the inserts are complete.

--
Alan Burlison