db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Alan Burlison <Alan.Burli...@sun.com>
Subject btree overflow during insert
Date Wed, 12 Nov 2008 13:59:16 GMT
We are doing inserts with Derby 10.4.2.0 into a table that has an index
on it, and during the insert we get the following errors:

*** Appending local Error for batch element #84: Limitation: Record of a
btree secondary index cannot be updated or inserted due to lack of space
on the page.  Use the parameters derby.storage.pageSize and/or
derby.storage.pageReservedSpace to work around this limitation.***
*** Next Exception java.sql.SQLException: Error for batch element #155:
Limitation: Record of a btree secondary index cannot be updated or
inserted due to lack of space on the page.  Use the parameters
derby.storage.pageSize and/or derby.storage.pageReservedSpace to work
around this limitation.***
Appending nestedError for batch element #84: Limitation: Record of a
btree secondary index cannot be updated or inserted due to lack of space
on the page.  Use the parameters derby.storage.pageSize and/or
derby.storage.pageReservedSpace to work around this limitation.

We've tried removing the index and re-adding it after the inserts, but
the result is the same.  To stop this happening we have to up the
derby.storage.pageSize parameter to 16k, which is too big for what is
effectively an OLTP database, and the documentation for
derby.storage.pageReservedSpace says that it only applies to tables, bot

Is this a bug, and if not, what should we do to avoid it, other than
increasing the DB page size to 16K?

Thanks,

--
Alan Burlison