db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Noll <dan...@nuix.com>
Subject Re: IndexOutOfBoundsException from client driver during getBlob
Date Mon, 10 Nov 2008 00:27:11 GMT
Kristian Waagan wrote:
> I feel we have too little information to create a fix - we don't even
> know what the real problem is.
> The locator values are drawn from a counter, and there is a counter for
> each (root) connection. I'm having trouble understanding how we could
> get concurrency issues in this case.
> Also, I think the error you are seeing suggests an invalid locator
> value, not a duplicate value.
>
> Anything special about your network server setup? (time-slicing,
> statement caching, connection pooling)
>
> My suggestion is to wait for a while and see if it happens again, or see
> if anyone else has suggestions.

It has happened again.  This time it took 12 hours for it to happen,
which is information I didn't previously have.  If I'm lucky this will
help reproducing it here.  Maybe it's something that takes a long time
until it occurs.  Or maybe it's something where the probability is just
really low so it takes an enormous number of attempts before it happens.

As far as the network server setup itself, it's straight-forward.  We're
not using connection pooling due to bugs preventing that from working
properly, and everything else is normal as well.

I guess I can run a test overnight to see if something similar happens,
with tracing turned on.  It's going to generate a lot of output though
so I somewhat fear for my disk space. :-)

Daniel