db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Embedded and Network Simultaneous Connections
Date Thu, 06 Nov 2008 15:29:59 GMT
Ole Ersoy wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> Thanks for the clarification.  That answers my question.

Hello Ole,

Please note that you can have your application use the embedded driver,
and also start the the network server so that remote clients can connect
to the same Derby instance.
I don't remember the details (please look at the documentation or wait
for an answer), but I think you can set a property or start it though a
Java API.

One scenario for this setup, is having your main application use Derby
embedded and then connect remotely for "ad-hoc" access/maintenance or
connection secondary clients.
Of course, opening up for remote connections has security implications.
A white paper on security with Derby has been published on the Sun
Developer Network site.

regards,
--
Kristian