db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: IndexOutOfBoundsException from client driver during getBlob
Date Wed, 05 Nov 2008 09:41:52 GMT
Daniel Noll wrote:
> Kristian Waagan wrote:
>> Daniel Noll wrote:
>>> Hi all.
>>>
>>> Has anyone seen an exception similar to the following, coming from a
>>> call to getBlob()?
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Yes, I've seen it before, but only with 10.3.2.1 and earlier.
>> The repro I have, which is very similar to the code you posted,
>> doesn't trigger the bug with 10.3.3.0 or newer.
>> Can you double check the versions (both client and server) you are
>> using?
>>
>> For the record, I've been running with JDK 1.6.0.
>
> I can confirm that it's 10.4.1.3 for both client and server.  We've
> been using this version since it came out, and the version of our
> software in use has been confirmed to be one where this version was
> included.
>
> We're also running on JDK 1.6, though I'm not sure if the version
> which was being used when the problem occurred was u6 or u10.
>
> Was this a fixed bug for which there is a JIRA issue?  I was unable to
> find out, but if one exists, the attached patch would presumably allow
> me to confirm whether 10.4.1.3 includes the same fix, or perhaps more
> interestingly, whether 10.4.2.0 does.

The Jira you are looking for might be DERBY-3243.
What you report seems to be the same symptom, but at first sight I think
the cause is different.
With a single execution thread, the server should never return one of
the invalid locator values, but I think there's a chance it can happen
if more than one thread calls the locator key generation method. It is
not yet clear to me how this can happen, and I might be wrong.

How hard is it for you to reproduce the error?
It should be simple to write a small patch that verifies that the
locator values generated by the server are valid.
If what I describe is indeed the problem, the bug affects both Blob and
Clob.

You might want to log a new Jira issue for this bug.

--
Kristian