db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Noll <dan...@nuix.com>
Subject Re: Embedded database which only stores data in memory?
Date Wed, 05 Nov 2008 00:04:31 GMT
Dyre.Tjeldvoll@Sun.COM wrote:
> But would you also use Derby in deployment? Presumably usage of the
> database would be rather different in deployment? I mean, not may
> applications put temporary data in a relational database, so I'm
> guessing that in deployment you would not want to throw away the
> database files each time you close your application, right?

Just to chime in here.  We also use Derby for deployment, and are having
the same grief with setup time for unit tests (I know there is the
option of using some other JDBC engine for testing, but we like to test
against the same database we're deploying...)

It has gotten to the point where some test case classes have been
reduced to a single test method, which is somewhat counter to the spirit
of unit tests.

For tricks in the meantime:

  - Using a RAM disk presumably works but we haven't tried.

  - Turning off reliability features? (not important for tests)

  - Anything else?